Like humans, all living creatures need food, water, and shelter to survive. Household pests are attracted by these three things. Sometimes, pest control focuses too much on the food and shelter part of the equation and neglects to address water issues. If you want to prevent pests, take steps today to reduce excess moisture in and around your home.
Humid environments make the ideal homes for roaches, ants, silverfish, mosquitoes, centipedes, and many more creatures. Try some of these tips and tricks to get rid of excess moisture today:
- Fix all leaky pipes or faucets outside and inside your home. Leaks are not always obvious, so check under sinks, in bathrooms, and in basements or crawl spaces.
- Inspect the caulking around your sinks, bathtubs, and showers to ensure that it is in good condition. If it is deteriorating, water may be able to soak into floor boards and accumulate in wall voids.
- Use exhaust fans when needed in bathrooms and consider a dehumidifier if your whole home is too humid.
- Clean out your gutters and downspouts to avoid clogs and stagnant water.
- Do not let bushes, trees, mulch etc. touch the outside of your home, as they trap moisture and provide harborages for animals.
- Consider re-landscaping your yard if water is puddling in low spots or if it is running toward your home. Fill dirt, drains, or slope changes may be needed.
- Do not let water stagnate in any areas in your yard because it will become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Empty out and remove things that collect water like flower pots, toys, containers, tarps, old tires, etc.
Salt Lake City Pest Control
Moisture is only one of the reasons that you might be having trouble with pests. If you have taken the above steps and still struggle with ants, rodents, bed bugs, spiders, and more, contact the professionals at Six Brothers Pest Control. We guarantee quality service, excellent customer care, and unmatched safety. We have offices in Orem, Salt Lake City, Saint George, Las Vegas, and Boise.