There are scorpion species found all over the world, on every land mass except Antarctica. Many people are nervous and fear scorpions because of their painful sting, but understanding where they live and hide can help you avoid them and be able to live near them without the worry and anxiety.
The most common places to find scorpions are in subtropical climates and deserts. Areas like the Middle East, Northern Africa, India, South America, and Mexico are home to many different species of scorpions. In the United States, the desert southwest, including right here in Las Vegas, is the best place to find scorpions.
Scorpion Hiding Places
Scorpions are nocturnal creatures that venture out at night to hunt insects, small reptiles, and other prey. During the day, they try to remain hidden in dark, cool environments. Piles of rocks, wood, tree bark, tall grass, and general debris provide shelter for scorpions. Having these things in your yard can attract them to your property, and they may venture into your home. Once inside a home, scorpions look for the same dark, damp environment that they enjoy in the outdoors. Places where you might find them include: basements, crawl spaces, bathrooms, kitchens, storage rooms, in corners, and behind cabinets.
Since scorpion stings can be extremely painful and sometimes even serious, prevention is key. Good scorpion prevention includes getting rid of their habitat, excluding them from your home, and removing food and water sources. Do the following things to help keep scorpions away:
- Remove leaves and other debris from your yard
- Prune trees and bushes, especially those close to the house
- Mow the lawn frequently to prevent hiding places
- Store firewood off the ground and at least 20 feet away from the house
- Fix leaky pipes and faucets
- Seal the outside of your home using caulk or expandable spray foam
- Make sure all doors and windows close securely by using weatherstripping and/or door sweeps
- Cover vents with fine wire mesh
- Check where pipes or wires enter the home to make sure that there are no gaps
- Make sure basement windows are closed
- Control insects and pests around your property that scorpion’s prey on
- Clean regularly to prevent crumbs that will attract insects
- Hire a pest control specialist
If you are struggling with scorpions or other household pests, contact 6 Brothers Pest Control today. Our team of expert technicians will inspect your home and come up with a customized solution to meet your needs. For Las Vegas pest control, you won’t find better than Six Brothers.